[Novalug] Updating FireFox

Roger W. Broseus Roger@just.net
Thu Mar 8 11:17:13 EST 2007

I had some success installing my "own" version of Firefox to get around
this SuSE problem. Download from Mozilla's / Firefox site and follow
their directions for installing under Linux. HOWEVER, when I did it, the
place to "put" firefox was incorrectly named for a SuSE install! So, you
have to scrounge around to find the location where it is and substitute
THAT directory for the one specified in the Firefox site's instruction.
To protect against failure, backup the OLD folder first. Do this as
root. The existing profile you have should still be in effect - it is
stored in your home folder and should not be overwritten.

After this, do NOT update Firefox with SuSE's updater. Do so with
Firefox's updater.

You may have to re-install extensions, flash, etc.

Good luck.

/roger

Rich Goodwin wrote:
> Firefox that comes with SuSe 10.2 is version 2.0.0.2pre.  None of the
> extensions will work - such as Forecastfox or AdBlocker.  When I
> install/upgrade extensions, I get a failure error.  YaST does not have a
> current version available and I cannot remove/delete it.
>
> Any suggestions??

Roger W. Broseus
Linux user			www.just.net/~roger