[Novalug] Fones for Linux fanatics

Ken Kauffman kkauffman@headfog.com
Wed Mar 7 08:48:27 EST 2007

I'm assuming you mean unlocked when you say "dummy".  I wrote a lot of
information below.  Most of which is interesting but may or may not be
relevant to you.

For T-Mobile and Cingular, you can obtain any *unlocked* phone and move
your SIM card to it.  Additionally, you can use any GSM network card in
an unlocked phone.  This is a big advantage if you travel to GSM only
Europe.

Make sure the phone supports the networks (bands) that your provider
has.  For instance, I fly to Lithuania at least once a year with my
(Lithuanian) wife to visit her family.  I put a local LT provider's card
in hers and my phone which I then keep for future use.  When we go back,
we add some money to the account and it reactivates it.  It's fantastic
having a "local number" when there.

You pick up a GSM card at a local convenience store just like we can buy
  phone cards in the states, only the European way gives you a network
and phone number for people to call you as well.  I love the European
system as it relates to this.  However, phone theft is big since they
are all unlocked and prices are high (no cheap locked "provider
subsidized" phones like the U.S.)  Getting a local provider's GSM card
and using that instead of your providers International Roaming plan is
MUCH MUCH cheaper; particularly if you're in a country where the dollar
is worth much more than the local currency like LT.

Keep in mind to call the states or text message, you should have all
your numbers in international format in your phone (+1-703-555-1212).
Some mobile text networks have problems using 001 instead of +1.

FYI: Most providers like Cingular or T-Mobile have a policy that they
will unlock your phone after 6 months of service with them.  They will
provide the 'subsidy code' so that the phone unlocks.  YMMV.

The LT GSM network is based on 900/1800 Mhz and 2100 for 3G.  My primary
provider is Cingular in the states which uses 850/1900.  T-Mobile uses
1900 only.  In order to ensure more thorough coverage, I bought a quad
band phone which supports them all.  Typically tri-band phones drop the
850 or 900.  This can affect coverage in Europe or United States as a
result.

gsmworld.com has many great resources for looking up networks if you
travel: http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml

I find that GSM providers are the most flexible solution if you do
international travel.

Ken