[Novalug] OSX on AMD

donjr djr1952@hotpop.com
Fri Mar 2 04:50:33 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 00:59 -0500, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Bonnie Dalzell wrote:
> > I think you may have missed my point about the difference between Apple
> > and M$. Apple actually sells you the OS. True it has a big dongle attached
> > to it.. M$ does some sort of we are allowing you to use the OS
> > thing.
> >

> I'm not sure what you mean... do you mean like when you get Windows as
> an OEM version?  I don't know what the EULA says (of course), but I
> think I can transfer it to another machine at least ONCE (or so I've heard).

See part 13. of the current EULA for XP
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx>
  13. SOFTWARE TRANSFER. Internal. You may move the Software to a
  different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must
  completely remove the Software from the former Workstation Computer.
  Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the Software may make a
  one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and Software to another end
  user, provided the initial user retains no copies of the Software.
  This transfer must include all of the Software (including all
  component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this
  EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). The
  transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior
  to the transfer, the end user receiving the Software must agree to all
  the EULA terms.

This is different then the OLDER EULA for "Windows ##...".

The above change really caught me off guard.

In other words it's NOW legal to "transfer" ownership of a copy of XP,
provided all parties involved are also willing to meet all the terms.

Side Note:
 The above referenced web page was the second hit of a Google search
for: transfer MS Windows Licences

{-: Some of the other first twenty tittles(hits) returned by the above
search hinted towards some interesting reading on the subject for
someone who has the time and interested. :-}

 Don E. Groves, Jr.

$ /usr/games/fortune :
You learn to write as if to someone else because NEXT YEAR YOU WILL BE
"SOMEONE ELSE."