[Novalug] OSX on AMD

Angelo Bertolli angelo@freeshell.org
Fri Mar 2 01:06:19 EST 2007

Ken Kauffman wrote:
> On Thu, March 1, 2007 14:10, Tux subscriber Dave Aronson wrote:
>
>> ...which of course is utterly useless unless they've bought the
>> hardware....
>>
>> -Dave
>>

> These are negatively charged words.  Keep in mind that this is model that
> Mac has chosen.  I partially like the model.  It's a big reason why their
> systems can "just work".  The OS can also be tuned to that platform and
> chipset giving greater performance.

I know this opinion might not be popular, but for the vendor lock-in
reasons that people may dislike Microsoft, Mac is worse.  Only recently
has Mac decided that they will support Intel chips.  Yes, you're
right... it is easier to make things work... as long as you don't
upgrade.  I upgraded an older G5 to OS X 10.4 and I was not happy when
it started freezing periodically, and completely locking up if the
screen saver was on long enough.

Then again, maybe I just have bad luck.

--
Angelo Bertolli
Please remove my email address from your post when replying