[Novalug] OSX on AMD

Angelo Bertolli angelo@freeshell.org
Fri Mar 2 00:59:18 EST 2007

Bonnie Dalzell wrote:
> I think you may have missed my point about the difference between Apple
> and M$. Apple actually sells you the OS. True it has a big dongle attached
> to it.. M$ does some sort of we are allowing you to use the OS
> thing.

I'm not sure what you mean... do you mean like when you get Windows as
an OEM version?  I don't know what the EULA says (of course), but I
think I can transfer it to another machine at least ONCE (or so I've heard).

> However this is a major difference from windoze - I have insolvent friends
> who have older used macs and I can give them the OS X version which I have
> replaced with a newer version without breaking any laws. Or I can upgrade
> the MAC OS in a older school computer. So you serve as a socially
> responsible and role model for high school kids.

Have you ever tried this?  I'll admit I haven't done a lot of
"switching" OS X to another Mac, but what I have tried never works.  OS
X does some checking on the model of hardware you have before it'll
install, at least that's what I think was going on.

> I can also of course do this by putting Linux on the high school
> computer. However if I wanted to help the high school with Windoze I have
> to buy them a copy of the OS because my old copy which I have
> "upgraded" is not legally separate from the new upgrade.

Only if you bought the upgrade, and not a full version.  Not that I know
what the price difference is ;)  So you're saying that Apple simply
doesn't sell a discounted upgrade version.

> Sort of like - I have the first edition of a textbook. I buy the
> revised edition and I cannot give the old book away because I don't
> really own it or something.

I think it's more like after you have the first edition of the textbook,
you can either buy the new edition, or pay less and just get the errata
and addendum that will provide the changes between the two editions.

--
Angelo Bertolli
Please remove my email address from your post when replying