[Novalug] OLPC on April

jlg goldsmithj@yahoo.com
Thu Mar 1 13:33:34 EST 2007

Googleing "mephis root password" gives hits that claim the root password is "root".
  I had to do this a while back - I have a soft spot for Mephis since they are based in Morgantown WV.

  ...jlg

Beartooth <karhunhammas@Lserv.com> wrote:
  On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Kat Walsh wrote:

> On 2/28/07, Jay Hart wrote:
>> I would like to bring a child, any child, and pick up the
>> laptop for them at the meeting.
>>
>> Jay
>
> You'll need one.
>
> To figure out how to get the damn thing open.
>
> A friend of mine works for them, so I got to see one of the
> laptops a few weeks ago. I felt better about not being able to
> do it myself when the physics Ph. D. and the math Ph. D. who
> were there couldn't either... Perhaps it's childproof!

Just like medicine bottles -- or Mepis. I managed to burn
a DVD of that, and what's more, it booted. Then it wanted me to
log in, wither as demo or as root -- with a password. It didn't
mean blank; it didn't mean "password"; it didn't mean the
passwords on my hard drive. It gave no hint what it did mean. And
I never did figure it out.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Neo-Redneck Double Retiree,
Not Quite Clueless Linux Power User