[Novalug] Repeat Question

Ken Kauffman kkauffman@headfog.com
Thu Mar 1 09:08:00 EST 2007

Dell machines tend to last and can be affordable particularly if you
find a coupon special type of deal.  For instance:

http://www.xpbargains.com/index.php/send_deal/66010

The OS alone would normally be a chunk of that cost if you build yourself.

However they piss me off to no end anymore around their service
offering.  Why?  Globalization's impact on that service offering.  I
often find that I end up supporting the machine whether I buy from Dell
or build it.

Story #1: Mom has Dell.  Mom calls Dell.  Dell rep goes through
"checklist" of troubleshooting items. Not fixed. Mom calls back.  Same
exact problem with different representative.  Language skills are so
poor and technical training weak enough that they can't think outside
the box and resolve a single problem.  Total time on the phone with Dell
approximately 2.5 hours with no resolution!!   Mom calls me, fixed 15
minutes.

Story #2: Call Dell for support some months later.  Apparently this time
all the representatives overseas have been assigned American names.  The
representative *I* reached couldn't properly pronounce his own assigned
name.  Click - do not insult my intelligence, I'll just figure it out
myself.

Hardware generally good.
Service, luck of the draw and generally poor.