[Novalug] OT: Verizon FIOS Questions

Nick Marshall nmarshall23@gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 21:58:17 EDT 2007

I do not have FIOS, but I do service security equipment, and more then
once I have seen FIOS, and had to deal with it. Often we have to
reconnect the security system to the phone line cause some tech cut
one of our lines, but the FIOS tech's do seem to be the better ones.

> What is the interface to the fiber?
Verizon, installs a big box that has no serviceable parts, it's bigger
then any NID I have seen. About the size of a small wall mounted
switch.

>a.  For internet, an ethernet port,
Yes you get a ethernet port, I have seen plenty of router's.. Some I
hear that Verizon has installed.

> b.  For television,
There is hookup for a coax cable, there maybe more I haven't really
bothered looked the TV side of things. I think that there is a box
that you need to connect to the TV.

> c.  For telephone,
You get two RJ-11 jacks, it's setup for two phone lines.

> power outages?
Sometimes I find backup batteries hooked up, they look to be 4 hour batteries.

I have Cox cable internet, it's fine, other then the occasional
outage... I had to drop speakeasy DSL, after Verizon screwed up the
phone lines.

Nickm

 http://blog.nocturnaltechie.com