[Novalug] Bug?: Linux not as responsive as Windows

Nick Danger nick@hackermonkey.com
Tue Jun 26 13:36:55 EDT 2007

Michael Hughes wrote:
> I'm not sure if it's because I mostly use Gnome, but I was wondering
> if others have noticed this, and if so, what layer of the software do
> you think it is related to?  I want to file a bug report to see if
> this can be responded to by the dev. community.

Anything can be responded to by the development community, then question
is do you really want the response? ;-)

"Feel" is very subjective and as such your feel of responsiveness might
be something major, or it might simply be a configuration thing. I know
that when I brought my car in for repair I thought the loaner they gave
me "felt" so much better the my own. Until I really sat to think about
it objectively, and found the things I like (the seats felt better, and
the brakes were better) I solved both issues and now Im happy with my
car again :-)

The point of the story is, anything can be addressed. IF you know
exactly what it is you are addressing. Objective questions and measures
will get you a much more useful response then a subjective one. Even
something as simple as "the mouse moves slowly" (which you have a reply
about) or "the icons get blocky/slow when I move things on the desktop".
There is much more information to go on with that, and developers might
be able to respond.

So sit back, have a think, and then tell us, what feels different to
you? We all know it looks/acts different, but what causes the feeling
part that makes you want to go back?

No comments on the ol 98 faster part, since I do miss my Amiga from time
to time. And linux feels NOTHING like Kickstart :-) There is just no
accounting for some things.

Nick