[Novalug] Re: Weird wireless wonders (Was: Re: Novalug Digest, Vol 8, Issue 46)

D Rider twigboy2@gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 14:19:05 EDT 2007

> > No, I haven't run WINE.
> >
> > The other network was my car dealership and named accordingly and my
> network
> > is named by me -- no default in either case.
> >

> Let's rule out all the vectors and in doing so improve the
> understanding of the environment.
>
> *  Do you use a USB drive on both latops?
>
> *  Is their active server software installed on both laptops?  If so,
> which servers, what versions and why?
>
> * Do you run Hamachi on any of your machines?
>
> *  Is your XP laptop set up for SSH?
>
> *  Likewise, is the SSH port opened on your Ubuntu rig?
>
> *  Do you have a file server set up on a fully authenticated domain?
>
> *  Has the XP laptop ever had a virus/spyware infection that was very
> hard to remove (as in you find and delete the infected files and then
> a week later your infected again)?
>
> *  Do you use IRC or any other kind of chat software?
>
> *  Do you use file sharing software?  And if so, what kind on which
> machines and what networks?
>
> *  Do you use any warez on both your Ubuntu rig and your XP laptop?
>
> *  Do you use a web based service from both your Ubuntu rig and XP
> laptop?  If so, what service, and how often?
>
> If the answer is "no" to all of these then I'd recommend backing up
> the Ubuntu rig, reinstalling and immediately (before accessing the
> net) install tripwire and get it running.  Then run tripwire after the
> online update and after reloading the data.  If that comes up with the
> core files still clean, then I'm at a loss.
>

> NOTE:  Yes, I'm paranoid when it comes to little things like this.
> You would be too if you ever had to remove an OS neutral BIOS virus.
>
> -John

No USB drive on both.
active server software: ???
Hamachi: no, but I tried it on another (desktop) Windows?
XP laptop set up for SSH: don't think so; run VPN client
SSH port opened on your Ubuntu rig: is it default open?
file server set up on a fully authenticated domain: yes, but I don't
authenticate to the domain using the Ubuntu machine.
XP laptop ever had a virus/spyware infection: no, well, not that I know of;
nothing other than some cookies that I don't remember about.
IRC or any other kind of chat software: no, don't chat
file sharing software: BitTorrent?  Probably on the XP machine to get
Freespire to burn to CD
warez: ???
web based service from both your Ubuntu rig and XP
laptop:  You mean like bill paying?  Yes, car payment to bank -- monthly
Yahoo; Google Mail & Groups???

Geepers.  maybe I should learn how to detect rootkits?

Thanks.