[Novalug] Nagios & IBM RSA II and new IBM servers

Tom and Wendy merky_1@yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 00:10:48 EDT 2007

Nick Danger wrote:
> I have some new servers with the IBM RSA II cards. REALLY nice cards, Im
> very impressed. Problem is I cant think of a way to monitor these
> servers with Nagios and watch the hardware itself.  The servers are (I
> think?) 3550 models. Their basic 1U with two hot swap drives in a RAID 1
> config. I have to find the tool to watch the raid set for failed drives
> still, but I was hoping there was also a way I can watch for stuff like
> power supply failure (dual PSs) RAM failures, etc.  I can watch the
> errors on the RSA II card, and configure SNMP traps via the card, but I
> was hoping for some command line tool to watch the HW status via a
> shell, then just do monitor over SSH with Nagios like I do for most
> everything else :-)  Otherwise I'll have to go back to the SNMP monitor
> via Nagios, which works but I dont think is very elegant.

I think that you will need to install the IBM director agent on the box,
which will give you the CIM repository that IBM's monitoring products
use. Its been a while since I played with my previous employers HW, but
this is the route that the Monitoring products used.

A google search for IBM director cim will pull some relevant docs.