[Novalug] FC4 on P-II boxen

Ed James edjames@greenbelt.com
Mon Jun 18 16:55:09 EDT 2007

Think I found why I'm having trubs putting FC4 on one of my P-II
machines.  Basically, the switch from XFree86/RH9 to X.Org/FC4
left the S3 driver lagging in terms of support for old S3 chips.
Two of my graphics cards use those chipsets, and both cards are
over 10 years old.

Using "vesa" instead of "S3" sorta works.  However, I'm also
finding that some of my monitors are not supported by FC4
either.  This isn't to push some OTHER distro over FC, since
I'd hazard a guess that I'd hit the same problem with other
distros - either now or later.  Still, I still rescue gear
from the landfill with newer cards and stuff, so it's all just
a game of catchup.

Ed James
United Mind Workers Local 1402