[Novalug] repeating key problem, usb flashdrive related

Ed James edjames@greenbelt.com
Fri Jun 8 17:57:46 EDT 2007

Matt,

    I have 2.6 on my upstairs machines, and 2.4 on the downstars machine,
which has the problem.  I recompiled the 2.4 kernel to make sure it had
the proper scsi, usb, etc support, and it backslid...now, the system
doesn't even react when the flashdrive is inserted. So...

    Next step is install a PCI card which gives me two more USB ports to
see if that matters.  After that *sigh* it's time to upgrade to 2.6 by
installing FC4.  I did add in more debug usb support to the kernel, but
it wasn't particularly useful, unless I want to drill down into the
driver code.

    It's really annoying to hit these problems so often, but that's mostly
my fault for toying with such old equipment.  On the flip side, every
time something like this happens, I learn a heck of a lot more about how
Linux does stuff.  And it's a whole lot cheaper than trying to find a
Higgs Boson.

Ed James