[Novalug] Xandros joins the MS patent gang.

Joel Fouse joel@fouse.net
Mon Jun 4 21:42:04 EDT 2007

> On Jun 4, 2007, at 5:23 PM, gregory pryzby wrote:
>>>
>>> So in other words RedHat?
>>
>> say it isn't so! RH has publically blasted ANYONE who talks with MS
>> and said they would never pay ransom or be blackmailed, etc.
>>
>> But, yes, Red Hat owns JBoss, so if 'JBoss' is talking w/ MS, then Red
>> Hat is
>
> If they are talking to MS about interoperability that's fine with
> me.  Even better if it's an OpenSource way of interoperability.
>
> It's when they make "patent" or IP packs (like Novel and now Xandros)
> that threaten my future choice and my freedom to implement the
> technology I see as the most effective, that's when I will get pissed.
>
> I guess, as always, we will have to wait and see...

To be clear: I do not recall any mention of issues or cooperation in terms
of IP or patents regarding JBoss.  It was in a section on
interoperability, and one area of this one particular slide showed maybe
five or ten vendors' logos (such as JBoss, Xandros, XenSource, Suse, etc.)
showing companies or vendors with which Microsoft has recently become more
open and interoperable than one might have otherwise expected.  But in
speaking about that slide, Muglia pulled a "for example," announcing the
deal w/ Xandros.  I didn't initially get the sense that they were trying
to imply the same sort of relationship with all the other vendors
represented on the slide, but I suppose some may have walked away with
that impression.