[Novalug] Slashdot LUG article and discussion

Dan Arico dan_arico@aricosystems.com
Mon Jul 23 15:04:29 EDT 2007

On Mon July 23 2007 2:48 pm, Kevin Cole wrote:
> LUGs, MUGs, whatever.  User groups (Linux and others) form because
> groups of people are interested in getting better at using something,
> regardless of their current level of skill.  And because folks are
> interested in sharing what they do know.  Some members are
> "hobbyists," while others have a more pressing need to solve
> particular problems.  *UGs often tend to push the envelope in one way
> or another.  Given all that, I don't see the death of such groups.
> They might change form (especially considering the
> equipment/software/people come and go), but they'll continue to have a
> purpose.
>
> Not to mention that they're an excuse to eat and drink afterwards. ;-)

I have noticed one thing that has changed. We don't do install fests any
more.

I suspect the major reasons are the install scripts have gotten a lot
better so less help is needed and much of the installation procedure
requires an internet connection so the locations where we can do it are
more limited.

Dan Arico

One OS to bring them all, and in the Darkness bind them,
In the land of Redmond, where the Sales Reps lie.