[Novalug] Mobile Device Browser based on Mozilla

John B. Holmblad jholmblad@aol.com
Thu Jul 19 12:35:46 EDT 2007

KC,

my perception is that Nokia is carefully influencing this project so
that it does not suffer from the problems to which you refer. Their
experience with Opera on the Internet Tablet product family has been
painful to them and to their customer base for the Internet Tablet
product. If you look at the white paper you will see that the team that
is working on this project is attempting to "track" Firefox 3.0 as much
as possible.

I have tried the latest version of Minimo on Windows Mobile 5.0 and
although of course I like the tabbed browser capability, it is still
slow (on a 416mhz xscale processor with 64mb of ram) and it crashes. On
the other hand,  the Nokia N800 benefits from having a DSP for rendering
of graphics (and perhaps other signal processing tasks as well) and I
suspect that the performance benefit of this DSP extends to browser
performance as well.

Interestingly Nokia has also pre-released a bet test version of a
portion of its next quarterly software release for the Internet Tablet
that incorporates a SIP client. Here is the url to information on that
beta software release:

    http://rtcomm.garage.maemo.org/#install

I have not tried it yet but it does seem to work according to others who
have tried it.

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International

GSEC Gold,   GCWN Gold,   GAWN,  GGSC-0100,   NSA-IAM,  NSA-IEM

Information security, telecommunications, and information technology
consulting

(M) 703 407 2278

(F)  703 620 5388

primary email address:  jholmblad@aol.com