[Novalug] OT - Olympus Smart Media Card - how do you recondition

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Sat Jul 14 18:30:42 EDT 2007

I have an older Olympus camera a Camedia C-2000 Z

I have a couple of smart media cards (128 mb) for it.

Recently it reported that one of the smartmedia cards had a card
errror.

I have been able to reformat this card on the computer and write to it
and read from it on the computer but the camera cannot reformat it and
cannot recognize it.

I believe that it is a fat 16 formatted card - at least that is what
the gparted reports it as being.  I have even copied
the set up files from my second smart media card onto the
defective one using the computer. It still gives me a card
reading error and the camera cannot reformat the card.

I read about reconditioned smart media cards on the internet but cannot
find anything about how you recondition them.

I have been careful in the past to always use the camera to reformat
its card.

Unfortunately it appears that these cards are no longer being manufactured
and the ones I have tracked down for sale are in the $100 to $160 price
range which is around one third of the cost of a new camera. The
obselescence is certainly frustrating because the current camera is still
perfectly suited to the uses I have for it.

                       Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:5100 Hydes Rd ---- Hydes MD USA 21082-----EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net

freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog

Editor Net.Pet Online Animal Magazine  - http://www.netpetmagazine.com
HOME http://www.qis.net/~borzoi/          BUSINESS http://www.batw.com