[Novalug] Linux home automation - Security

James (Jim) Darlack jmdarlack@yahoo.com
Thu Jul 12 11:02:28 EDT 2007

Hi George,

Recently, I purchased  $110 X-10 wireless alarm system, and a software package that "talks" X-10 from Microshaft Windows.   Its clutzy, since the X-10 controller is not communicating with the Microshaft X-10 module.  Anotherwords, they talk X-10, but not to each other.  You cant send a signal from the alarm system, to your computer... noooOOOooo that would be too easy and make too much sense.

  Consequently, if you want to control lights during the evening, or turn other devices on, it is separate from the alarm system, and you also MUST keep a PC up and running constantly.

  Anyone that has thoughts, especially experience, on an all Linux solution, please let us know.

  My goal would be to have the X-10 controller and alarm system:

   inclusion of cameras as well as infrared for motion detectors
   send out status, photos, and alarm messages to email
   same content to text messages to SMS to a cell phone
   publish same content an internet website
   optional connectivity to a professional monitoring service
  I think such a system would be a great to package up into a Love Linux CD.  I know their are a lot of tools out there to do parts of the above wish list.  No one that I am aware of has a single solution on a Live CD.

gclement511@aol.com wrote:
    Hi All,

Have any of you used ZoneMinder or other Linux Home Automation / Security products.
I used to play with X10 automation (while back) so ZoneMinder seemed like a cool tie in.I've not seen others like it, so wonder if I'm missing something better.

Thanks for the feedback in advance.
  George Clement