[Novalug] graphics card advice sought

dtidrow@patriot.net dtidrow@patriot.net
Tue Jul 10 10:33:09 EDT 2007

> All,
>
>     I'm seeking graphics card advice for a P-III system.  It's for
> 2-D apps (no fancy 3-D gamer type stuff), like movies and TV.  I
> want 128 MB onboard RAM.  Don't care much if it's AGP or PCI. I
> don't want something so powerful it needs it's own fan.  I don't
> need additional stuff like special Input/Output jacks and plugs.
> And I need it for FC4/6 boxen.

Finding a 2D-only gfx card with 128MB is gonna be hard, so what I'd
recommend is to get an older NVIDIA or ATI card that has 128MB of memory.
You can find an older Radeon or GeForce 3/4 on eBay for around $15-$20,
and many of the low-end ones come with just heatsinks.  Open-source
drivers are available for both, if you don't want to use the binary
drivers.

Don