[Novalug] Hard Drive Data Recovery

Mark Smith mark@winksmith.com
Fri Jul 6 11:52:57 EDT 2007

there are two things you can do yourself (neither of which i have tried).

if you suspect the controller is bad, find another exactly the same
disk drive.  swap the controllers.

if you suspect a heat related problems.  stuff the disk drive in the
freezer and read what you can as quickly as possible.  i know someone
who was successful using this method.  this is listed as a "myth" on
the page you specified so ymmv.

$219 sounds pretty cheap if you ask me.  if you decide to use, post
a note here about how they worked out for you.

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 09:14:36AM -0400, Greg Faust wrote:
> Is anyone experienced with data recovery?  I know this is more of a hardware
> question than a linux question.  I have a IBM DeskStar 120GB drive that is
> loaded with family photos and videos.  I'm probably going to send it out for
> data recovery, but I was wondering if anyone is experienced with data
> recovery and has access to a semi-clean room.  I'd be willing to buy a donor
> drive for parts.  This drive was actually my backup.  I configured my
> machine for raid0 (sripe) and went to copy the data back onto the raid from
> my backup and about half way thorugh the drive holding my backup data
> started clicking and stopped copying.  Now I can't get the machine to
> recognize it as a valid device and it just keeps clicking.  I did find these
> guys online that charge a $219 flat rate to recover data from a hardware
> failure, but I'm not sure how good they are:
> http://www.aerodr.com/pricing.asp.

Mark Smith
mark@winksmith.com
mark at tux dot org