[Novalug] Confusion about installing packages.

Nino Pereira pereira@speakeasy.net
Tue Jan 30 18:35:22 EST 2007

Here's what another rooky does with .tar (and tar.gz) files:

Go to a terminal.

When you have a file called abc386.tar, type:

tar -xvf abc386

and when you have file.tar.gz type:

tar -zxvf abc386

If all works well you get a new directory, named after
the tar file, so, abc386.

Go to that directory (with cd abc386): you should find a file
README (or something like that).

Read it, it will tell you what to do next.

HTH,

Nino