[Novalug] wiki with version control / collaboration

Angelo Bertolli angelo@freeshell.org
Fri Jan 26 10:25:16 EST 2007

Jay Hart wrote:
> I was looking at Mediawiki.
>
> Unless I wnat very small sections, such as the following structure.
>
> Chapter1
> 1.1
> 1.2
> 1.3
> 1.4
> etc
>
> With each subsection having its own page, then the wikis I have looked at will be unsuitable.
>
> Imagine that someone hands you a 600 page document, and says "we know changes were made from the
> previous version, go find them, and let us know what they were".
>
> My deliverable for this class will be approx 600 pages (+-50), so trying to "look" through a
> revision history would be very tedious. It might take hours.
>
> I need some method to actually see the changes on the "page", and have some sort of approval
> process, that would make permanent the removal/deletion of the text.

Hmmm, so you basically want Microsoft's newer line of a collaborative
"office suite."  The wiki philosophy is to allow anyone to change it,
and hope that enough people care to revert back if someone messes it up.

At work I use tracking changes on office documents with subversion.  As
long as everyone follows these steps, it's easily trackable:
1) Checkout
2) Approve/reject all previous changes
3) Modify
4) Checkin

Also, since this is a paper for school, you could use a VCS more easily
with TeX anyway and track the changes.  It's nicer to use TeX for papers
anyway ;)

Angelo