[Novalug] Free Software Tools Unavailable

Russell Evans russell-evans@qwest.net
Thu Jan 18 23:47:04 EST 2007

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 22:26:39 -0500
"Kevin Dwyer" <kevin@pheared.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 10:20:31PM -0500, Jay Hart wrote:
> > Free???
> >
> > Far from it. I refuse to allow my tax accountant to submit my forms
> > online. I ask him for hard copies and mail them in.
>
> I usually do mine on my own and mail them in.  It's beginning to get
> more complicated though, so it really would be nice to have a Linux
> supported tax preparation option.  At the very least, I have been
> getting used to the flow of GnuCash, but that only helps me keep
> things in order.

http://opentaxsolver.sourceforge.net/
OpenTaxSolver (OTS) is a free program for calculating Tax Form entries
and tax-owed or refund-due, such as Federal or State personal income
taxes. An optional graphical front-end exists, OTS_GUI. TaxSolver has
been updated for the most recent 2006 tax-year for:   US 1040 and
Schedules A, B, C, & D, and State-Taxes for California and North
Carolina. Updating is now underway for the following 2006 State tax
forms: Massachusetts, New Jersey, Virginia, Ohio, New York, and
Pennsylvania State Taxes. The Candadian and Ontario forms were updated
for the 2005 tax-year.   Similar coverage is planned for 2006 as in
previous years.   Special thanks to all contributors.

http://www.taxcodesoftware.org/
Tax Code is best known as "the Linux of tax software". Tax Code for
taxpayers is a free, secure, ad-free alternative to consumer tax
preparation software like TurboTax, TaxCut, and TaxAct. For tax
professionals, Tax Code replaces expensive software packages like
ProSeries, TaxWise , and Drake. Tax Code that allows preparers to
prepare every tax form and e-file it where possible, as well as take
advantage of popular practice management techniques. Under the hood,
Tax Code is a set of XML technologies that enable a taxpayer or
professional tax preparer to prepare tax forms and e-file prepared tax
forms to the appropriate government agency. Government agencies can
also use Tax Code to offer services to taxpayers.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/taxcodesoftware
Free, Open Source US Federal and State Tax Preparation and E File
Software for Taxpayers, Tax Preparers, and Goverment Revenue collection
agencies.

Thank you
Russell