[Novalug] Questions about wireless access, etc.

Theodore Ruegsegger truegsegger@csc.com
Tue Jan 16 14:46:06 EST 2007

Just for the record, the questions I get every so often (about
wireless in the auditorium and other contentions between our needs and
CSC policy) are perfectly fair and reasonable. In no way do I
interpret such as complaining or ungrateful. I ask CSC such questions
myself, which is why I know the answers!

They're also worth reviewing now and then because things do change, as
with the door policy. Remember when we had to come in at the main
entrance? I got a lot of exercise checking the door every few minutes
to let people in, and no one was happier than I to learn that CSC now
insists that we enter next to the auditorium. I like to think that
happened because we kept raising the issue (carefully and tactfully),
but it's also possible that they just replaced one inflexible policy
with another ;-) Actually, in the case of the doors, the policy is
that of the building owners rather than CSC.

But heads up: we just had another reorganization whereby my IT
organization is "merging with" CSC's original IT group. I put it in
scare quotes because, as in every "merger" I've ever been a part of,
the resulting organization will have the same name as the one we're
"merging with". This is usually an indication of who will call the
tune vs who has "redundant capacity"; however, the head of the new org
is one of us.

In any case, this is probably a good time not to call our use of the
facilities to anyone's attention.

Ted, senior doorman