[Novalug] wireless available at meetings?

Roger W. Broseus Roger@just.net
Tue Jan 16 14:09:50 EST 2007

In addition to Ted's reasoning: NOVALUGers are guests and lucky ones at
that. It is very hard to find gratis space for meetings such as this. So,
it is better to be thankful for what is given and be satisfied with it.

I attend another / totally different type of group. We are allowed to
regularly use space for a fraction of the cost of like space in other
venues. It is owned / run by a town council. We are regularly feel
threatened by those who feel we use "their" parking spots, cause undue
noise, use "their" electricity, etc. Sometimes it is better to just keep a
low profile / stay under the radar as much as possible.

/roger

--
Roger W. Broseus

> Peter asked:
>> Hmmm - what's the difference [between the forbidden wireless access
>> and the permitted wired access]? We're still using their network??
>
> With wireless:
>
> * It's hard to tell who is using it; perhaps a bad 'un out in the
>   parking lot might connect...
>
> * There's an explicit order forbidding it. Exceptions require
>   approvals by strangers who have no reason to say yes.
>
> With wired:
>
> * We can observe/control who uses it, namely, the NOVALUG attendees in
>   the auditorium.
>
> * There's no explicit order forbidding it, and my buddies in network
>   admin are ok with it. No strangers involved.
>
> Were I to put your argument in a formal request, there are two
> possible outcomes:
>
> * They'll let a LUG (almost all of whom aren't CSC employees) use
>   wireless on a CSC network.
>
> * They'll forbid the wired access we're now using.
>
> Which is more likely?
>
> Ted
>
> ps. The fact that at least one computer in the building is infected
> with a virus/worm offering "Free WiFi", as Greg discovered at a recent
> meeting, doesn't mean CSC's ok with it ;-)
>
> pps. I'm not saying your argument is wrong, just that reasoned
> argument doesn't persuade suits. We're talking security theater here;
> after all, the standard CSC platform is still Windows!
>
> ppps. Just to show they're not completely stupid, there's also an
> explicit order that says any machine connecting to a CSC network must
> first be certified malware-free by IT but, when pressed, they'll
> acknowledge that that doesn't apply to GNU/Linux machines.
>
> tbr

Roger W. Broseus