[Novalug] VDQ Grub (cleverness, wages of)

Ed T. Toton III bones@necrobones.net
Mon Jan 15 13:22:22 EST 2007

Thus spake Beartooth:

> 	Having read the fine manual (at least, as to partition
> designation), I *suspect* maybe what has happened is that there is no
> boot info for Fedora where it oughtta be -- and that the easiest remedy
> would be simply to get out my install CDs for Fedora and try again. (All
> I have on that drive so far is an hour or two's worth of tweaking,
> setting up panels, one-click opening, etc.)

Forgot to reply to the rest of your message. No, as long as grub has the
correct information for the kernel and initrd names and locations, and the
right 'root=' parameter, you don't need any further boot info for the
second linux.

You could, as an alternative, have FC use it's own copy of grub installed
in the boot sector on its disk/partition, and use the "chainloader" option
in the first grub to pass off the boot process to it. Not really
necessary, but useful in some cases.

> 	If so, what do I watch out for during install? Let FC do its
> automatic partitioning, and trust it to preserve CentOS? Or ....??

I'd never trust the automatic stuff to preserve anything. But I'm cautious
that way. As long as you do everything on the second disk, you should be
able to leave the primary disk alone. Just be careful about overwriting
grub in the MBR on the primary (probably best to have it install to the
boot sector of the second disk in this case).