[Novalug] VDQ Grub (cleverness, wages of)

Beartooth karhunhammas@Lserv.com
Mon Jan 15 12:50:55 EST 2007

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007, Russell Evans wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 07:50:43 -0800 (PST) "Beartooth"
> <karhunhammas@Lserv.com> wrote:
>
>> (All I have on that drive so far is an hour or two's worth of
>> tweaking, setting up panels, one-click opening, etc.)
>
> Since those are desktop configurations and you are implying you
> will lose them in your post, I'm assuming you don't have a
> separate partition for /home? It really is one of Linux's
> strength's that the home directories can be separated from the
> OS partition on their own partition. If you do the install
> again, I highly recommend setting up a second home partition.

 	Being far from knowledgeable about these things, and in a
mood to experiment, I simply put every option offered onto a
partition, and told it to be maximum allowed. So there must be a
/home partition on each drive, mustn't there? But I don't see
them.

 	FC's hardware browser shows :

 		for /dev/hda, 100 MB of ext3, 761 of linux-swap,
2824 of ext3, and 15877 of Extended, divided into four of 3263
ext3 and one of 2824 ext3 (none labelled as /, /opt, nor
whatever); and

 		for /dev/hdb, one of 102 MB ext3, and one of29220
labelled LVM Physical Volume.

 	If I look in CentOS's gui at Computer > Filesystem, I get
a box for / showing what look to me to be the usual folders :
bin, boot, dev, and so on.

 	/boot contains a grub folder, which contains device.map;
two with the red do not enter symbol (grub.conf and menu.lst);
one with the package icon, named splash.xpm.gz; two named stage1
and stage2, which the gui won't let me open as user (Shall I look
as root with cat?); and ten of the form Xstage.n or Xstagen.m --
where X is e2fs, fat, or whatever, and n and m are integers.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Neo-Redneck, Double Retiree,
Not Quite Clueless Linux Power User