[Novalug] dmesg showing vesafb / drive errors at bottom

RJ Bergeron rbergero@gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 11:09:02 EST 2007

On 1/14/07, gregory pryzby <greg@pryzby.org> wrote:
> My compaq server was locking up. I turned off apci and it hasn't
> locked since.
>
> On Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 10:59:37PM -0500, Jay Hart wrote:
> > > Try adding "noapic" to the kernel line.
ACPI and APIC are unfortunately similar names for different things...

APIC is an advanced interrupt controller, ACPI is the new power
managment interface.

I like having ACPI enabled on my desktops so that pushing the power
button kicks off a proper shutdown... Sometimes you can use it to
dynamically throttle a CPU on a desktop box, too.

ACPI is disabled by passing acpi=off as a kernel argument.

RJ