[Novalug] Ruby on Rails?

Garrett Nievin gnievin@adelphia.net
Sat Jan 13 10:25:44 EST 2007

I'm starting into Ruby and Rails, and much of the reading on it is just
as fluffy.

O'Reilly's "Ruby on Rails: Up and Running" book is even thinner that it
appears.  I'm working through it, and can't recommend it.

There was a Linux Journal (http://www.linuxjournal.com/issue/147) issue
heavy on Ruby & Rails last July.  The cover has a glamor shot of the
creator of Rails.  Another glamor shot adorns the entire contents page.
When you turn to the interview, there's yet another full page glamor shot
with a single page of text.  3X as much space devoted to photos as there
is to content, 2X if you disregard the cover.  Linus never even got that
kind of treatment.

That having been said, I think both Ruby and Rails look way cool.

Here's the author's description from that interview of how to install
Rails, and it could be actually easier than this since you probably have
Ruby and possibly RubyGems installed as part of your distro:

"DH: Give it a try! We've fought hard to make Ruby on Rails the easiest
Web-application framework to try out. Get Ruby, get RubyGems (the apt-get
of Ruby libraries), gem install rails, rails my_application, and you have
your application skeleton running and ready to produce."

Cheers,
Garrett