[Novalug] Please Help: Ubuntu Graphical Login Fails

Keith Bennett keithrbennett@gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 14:30:44 EST 2007

Hello, folks.  I am in dire need of assistance in getting my
X working again quickly, or my boss, who does not value my Linux
environment as much as I do, may require that I work
in Windows from now on.

Here's what's happening:

When I log into the graphical login, the screen goes black
for a few seconds, and then returns to the login screen.
This happens whether I specify KDE or Gnome.  In fact, whether
I attempt to log in, or press Alt-E (which restarts X),
the result is the same.

I have Ubuntu (6.06 I think) and Kubuntu installed dual-boot
on a Dell Latitude D810 laptop with ATI's Mobility Radeon X600,
native resolution 1280 x 800.  I often use an external monitor
at 1600 x 1280, and that has been working fine until now.
For purposes of reducing potential points of error, however,
I am no longer using the external monitor.

Here's what I've tried:

* Specifying fglrx, ati, and vesa drivers (one at a time) in xorg.conf.

* Deleting the contents of /tmp.

* Moving my ~/.kde* files to another location.

* Trying "xhost +localhost", but I get a "Cannot
connect do display" error.

* From a root shell, I try the following  commands:
> glxinfo
Error: unable to open display (null)
> DISPLAY=:0 glxinfo
Error: unable to open display (null)
> fglrxinfo
Xlib: connection to "0:0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Error: unable to open display :0

* Ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, accepting default settings.

* Checked /var/log/messages.  There are some lines that being with
"(**) RADEON(0): ", but the messages don't look like errors or
even warnings.

* Tried installing the new version of the ATI driver (8.33.6).
Got errors in /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log:
Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
No kernel module build environment - please consult readme.
(I understand this, and at some point may install the kernel
module build environment.)

By the way, am I correct to assume that whenever I restart X
the contents of the xorg.conf file is reread?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

- Keith