[Novalug] OT: Broken phone line ?

Ken Kauffman kkauffman@headfog.com
Thu Jan 11 22:05:30 EST 2007

I'm a bit of a phone weenie... sigh....

- your standard line only runs on two wires (you probably knew that)
- only a short or a device opening the connection can cause it to be busy

With #2, the problem can exist anywhere, not just at a common wiring
point (i.e. NID).  That doesn't rule out the NID wiring.

(for the purpose of this, 'pins' will refer to the internal connectors
of the jack)

- I wouldn't have your wife unplugging/plugging the fax/phone in to get
work done.  I would set up the fax machine to be manual answer only and
run it in a loop like they are typically designed.
wall <-> fax <-> phone
- check the pins *inside that particular jack* to see if they were
somehow bent together (causing a short).  Perhaps jack too many jack
exchanges bent something in there.
- remove the 2 wall jacks completely (its only 8 connections from your
description).  Now test just the wires for current.  This eliminates the
jacks themselves as an issue.
- remove any extra devices plugged into that primary line
- if you've had children around the house, check ALL the jacks for
assorted crap jammed in them OR bent pins inside them from jamming
assorted crap in them.
- check the connections at the NID.  If it's old original wiring you
might just re-strip and connect for good measure.
- if you have a computer modem plugged into ANY of those outlets, make
sure it's not dialing out or holding the connection open.  I got a
windows trojan once (long time ago) that was dialing a 900 number and
holding the connection open.  Fortunately, I was at the machine when it
actually happened and was able to dispute the charges.  Otherwise, that
call on my phone bill would have been a big mystery.

There is a possibility that a rodent found shelter during the cold
months and chewed through a wire causing a short as well.  Those are no
fun to track down.

Good luck.