[Novalug] VDQ : what to do with an old P2

Roger W. Broseus Roger@just.net
Wed Jan 10 13:50:58 EST 2007

XUbuntu is "advertised" for older machines - it is less resource
intensive, not using KDE or Gnome for the GUI.

Noise: extrapolating from working under the hood of cars, before
eye-ritis set-in, pop the hood (open the case) and LISTEN. Try to
localize the sound. Try unplugging fans, one-by-one, remembering WHERE
the plugs started.

/roger

Beartooth wrote:

> Bear in mind, always, that I don't speak hardware.
[snip]
> That means my old pentium2 (my first PC) is now superfluous. I just
> wiped it with DBAN : it still has a BIOS -- and that's all. It'll need
> an OS before it's good for anything again.
>
> It has run everything from W98 to RH7 to FC6, with no real problems;
> it has just under 400 MB of memory, two hard drives (20 GB and 30 GB)
> -- and one problem.
>
> When it runs a little while, it starts making an unpleasant noise --
> fan, from the sound.
>
> I took it to the local shop (PCLand), where they told me there were
> two fans (neither of which, of course, would make the noise for them)
> -- and at my behest replaced one -- in the power supply, iirc. Brought
> it home, and of course it still did it.
[snip]