[Novalug] Is a gaming router really faster for downloading ; ZIPZ, Live CDs?

Ed T. Toton III bones@necrobones.net
Tue Jan 9 15:58:32 EST 2007

Thus spake Matt Good:

> Based on what I've read gaming routers simply do packet shaping to make
> sure your gaming traffic gets higher priority than other network traffic
> so someone downloading a big file won't kill your ping.  If you are
> playing a game this would actually slow down other network traffic, so
> downloading files would actually go slower.

I remember Jim talking about what he was doing with the gaming router
before. The one he was using was specifically a wireless bridge designed
to plug into a single device's nic. I think that's the feature he was
recommending.

- Ed T. Toton III, RHCE --|-- www.necrobones.com -- ed.toton.org -