[Novalug] Is a gaming router really faster for downloading ; ZIPZ, Live CDs?

Matt Good matt@matt-good.net
Sun Jan 7 21:22:12 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 17:26 -0800, James (Jim) Darlack wrote:
> Someone recomended I look at a gaming router to speed up my wireless
> downloads to the laptop.  Today I talked to a tech at Microcenter...
> (he seemed savvy)... regarding a gaming router.  His thoughts were
> that it bundles up sound and video info, but does not really help with
> the raw data traffic such as from a ZIP or Live CDs.

Based on what I've read gaming routers simply do packet shaping to make
sure your gaming traffic gets higher priority than other network traffic
so someone downloading a big file won't kill your ping.  If you are
playing a game this would actually slow down other network traffic, so
downloading files would actually go slower.

Some of the wireless routers have a 108 Mbps mode when used in
combination with a network card supporting the same 802.11g extension.
Whether your card, or the Linux drivers will support this is something
to check out first.

-- Matt Good