[Novalug] Is a gaming router really faster for downloading ; ZIPZ, Live CDs?

James (Jim) Darlack jmdarlack@yahoo.com
Sun Jan 7 20:26:14 EST 2007

Hi All,

  Someone recomended I look at a gaming router to speed up my wireless downloads to the laptop.  Today I talked to a tech at Microcenter... (he seemed savvy)... regarding a gaming router.  His thoughts were that it bundles up sound and video info, but does not really help with the raw data traffic such as from a ZIP or Live CDs.

  Im not trying to pick at the person that recomended the gaming router.  However, is there any real truth to what the tech stated?

  I want to install a desktop about 50 to 70 feet away in a second floor room. Soooo.. there is distance, as well as partitions.  For what its worth, the laptop indicates an "excellent" full scale signal in the remote location, picking up the signal from the 10 y/0 Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router.

  Id sure like to speed up the connection.....

  BTW, its Adelphia/Sterling supplied cable modem.

  I am amazed at hoe much I am learning from reading NOVALUG traffic.

  73,
  Jim, aka, KD3ip.

http://mail.yahoo.com