[Novalug] Patriot.Net - still a good ISP?

Alan McConnell alan@patriot.net
Sun Jan 7 15:13:29 EST 2007

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 10:43:59PM -0500, Julia Christianson wrote:
> Patriotnet was bought by IceWeb ... well, can't really remember, but six
> to eight months ago, and after a time service seemed to be going
> downhill.  In November it reached serious proportions ... they couldn't
> keep the mailserver up, for one thing, and I understand dialup was out a
> lot too, and I was seriously shopping for another provider but, as you
> discovered, there aren't a lot left.
>
> On December 6th we got a message that it had been taken over by a
> company called Leros (http://www.leros.net/), which at least seems to be
> linux-oriented and not entirely clueless.  Since then, I haven't
> experienced any problems with my DSL account, although I understand
> dialup is still a bit rough.  At any rate, things appear stable enough
> that I'm no longer shopping for a replacement.
	There are still unfortunately quite a few problems.  I have
	been running two E-lists on patriot.net, one using Ecartis(this was
	an experiment, promising SW, but the developers gave up) and
	the newest one using mailman, which is supposed to be functional,
	stable, and actively developed and maintained.

	The guy who first installed mailman, under the IceWeb regime, has
	now left.  The Leros guy who took over has made some improvements,
	but has still left in place an old and buggy mailman.  Almost the
	worst part is: there is no communication.  One doesn't know if
	one's complaint has been received, whether any action is planned,
	etc.

I've been with PatriotNet for over ten years.  It was very good until the
disastrous takeover by IceWeb, as described by Julia above;  I am not yet
convinced that Leros, whoever they are, take support at patriot.net
seriously.

Best wishes,

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
    "He lies.  He spies.  He wants us to ignore