[Novalug] verifying checksum of CDs after burning

John john_warren@adelphia.net
Sun Jan 7 14:22:07 EST 2007

Open a bash shell(Terminal), navigate to the file directory, type:

    openssl dgst -md5 filename

Then compare the string after the equals sign to the MD5 listed on the
SUSE site.  This is a collision fingerprint, in other words a pretty
concrete shortcut to tell if a file is a binary equivalent.

You can do the same with other fingerprinting techniques like SHA1
instead of MD5 if your still in doubt (just replace the "-md5" with "-sha1".

Alternately in K3B(best burning tool yet) there is a built in MD5
comparison tool that lets you cut and paste with all the ease of a GUI.