[Novalug] Ubuntu installation onto a Gateway Laptop

Roger W. Broseus roger@just.net
Sat Jan 6 16:21:17 EST 2007

What kinda error? I'm getting failures at the end of the install when an
attempt is made to write grub to the MBR. Of course, all is lost (unless,
maybe, one has a grub boot disk?).

I recorded the error type and googled to find a bug report.

Now I'm going back to square one.

/r

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, Bonnie Dalzell wrote:

> Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 15:22:38 -0500 (EST)
> From: Bonnie Dalzell <bdalzell@qis.net>
> To: novalug@calypso.tux.org
> Subject: [Novalug] Ubuntu installation onto a Gateway Laptop
>

> I got a cheap used Gateway Solo 5300 laptop.
>
> It boots with the Ubuntu Linux live CD disk and with the Ubuntu Linux
> Alternate disk.
>
> I got a larger harddrive for it as the original disk was only 20 GB.
>
> I have tried to install Ubuntu today but I get a failure of installing
> Grub into the MBR which pretty much terminates the process.
>
> Any suggestions. Anyone put Linux as the only OS on a Gateway Laptop?

>                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
> mail:5100 Hydes Rd ---- Hydes MD USA 21082-----EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
>
> freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
> breeder, computer nerd & iconoclast... Borzoi info at www.borzois.com.
>
> Editor Net.Pet Online Animal Magazine  - http://www.netpetmagazine.com
> HOME http://www.qis.net/~borzoi/          BUSINESS http://www.batw.com

Roger W. Broseus