[Novalug] OT: Telephone messages to MP3

jlg goldsmithj@yahoo.com
Sat Jan 6 11:27:18 EST 2007

My 9 y.o. son has called and left messages for me on various voice mail and answering machines over the past 6 years.  I have been to retain them by resaving them on the vm before they expired. In two weeks one of these systems is being replaced and I must get the message off of the vm.  I want to save them as mp3's.  Verizon Wireless (what a quaint name) acted like I was from Mars when I asked for copies of some messages (and offered to pay).  The tech support droid thought they were kept "somewhere" but couldn't access them.

So, here are my options as I see it:

  -  attach a microphone and tape recorder to access the vm system and record the messages as I listen them.

  -  attach a microphone attached to line-in to a computer to access the vm system and record the messages as I listen them.

  -  attach a hard wire phone to the line-in to a computer to access the vm system and record the messages as I listen them.

  -  do something with a voice modem (which are getting harder and more expensive to buy than I remember).

  - something with Asterisk?

I also have messages stored on home answering machine that has no intelligence.  The microphone solution appears to be the only answer (although the line-in solution may work).    I realize the Asterisk solution is the ultimate at solution, but, it looks like a lot of work.

The move is happening soon - I need a quick solution for the one message (I have an old Win 98 box with a modem that I'll try first, probably Sunday).  I have plenty of time to work on the others.

Ideas?

Thanks much!

...jlg (jim)