[Novalug] HDTV for Linux

Russell Evans russell-evans@qwest.net
Fri Jan 5 10:14:09 EST 2007

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 09:41:54 -0500
"Ken Kauffman" <kkauffman@headfog.com> wrote:

> Hmm.. not sure about this.  I don't see too many technical details on
> how it works.  Is the MythTV compatibility only if already have a FULL
> MYTH box setup?  It looks like it functions like a slingbox more than
> a myth setup.

It is a external hdtv card not a mythTV box. I don't know much about
the slingbox, so can't comment.

Take a look at the following URL. They take the unit apart as well as
doing the review.
http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=633&Itemid=153
CONCLUSION

    SiliconDust has really hit on a favorite with their HDHomeRun.
While its documentation is a bit lacking its feature list sets it apart
from the competition and gives it a distinct advantage.  The fact that
it is network attached allows the user to place the device where it is
convenient rather than taking up space and generating more heat inside
the HTPC.  The addition of a wall mount bracket would allow the unit to
be mounted next to the cable splitter and amp.

    Silk-screening some text onto the enclosure or an additional label
on the bottom would go a long way to reducing user confusion during
installation and future troubleshooting.  It's true that the included
slip of paper defines these items clearly, but I'm betting that paper
will be MIA 6 months from now when it's needed for reference.

    In spite of its less polished outward presentation, when it comes
down to it, the HDHomeRun performs its duties quite well.  If you are
using one of the above PVR software packages and you are in the market
for a HD tuner this Christmas, then this is the tuner for you.
Remember to check their web forums regularly as they frequently update
the firmware and utility software.

     In a future follow up article, I will describe the steps involved
to integrate the HDHomeRun in an existing analog SD MythTV
environment.  Until then, please post your questions or comments in our
forums.

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2317

MythTV is available as a set of packages for many common distros. The
best place to start is the MythTV site.

If you are running an older version of MythTV you will need to upgrade
to 0.20 (or later).

If you are using the MythTV 0.20 Ubuntu/Debian package then you will
need to update /usr/lib/libmythtv-0.20.so.0.20.0 once mythtv has been
installed. http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/libmythtv-0.20.so.tgz

mythtv-setup - Capture device

Add a new capture card with the following configuration:
Card type: HDHomeRun DTV tuner box
Device ID: <number from back of HDHomeRun>
Tuner: 0
Finish: <enter>

Shortcut - if there is only one HDHomeRun on the local network you can
use the wildcard FFFFFFFF device ID.

Repeat adding a second capture card for tuner 1:
Card type: HDHomeRun DTV tuner box
Device ID: <number from back of HDHomeRun>
Tuner: 1
Finish: <enter>

North America Digital Antenna

mythtv-setup - Video sources
Add a new video source with the following configuration:
Video source name: Antenna
Listings grabber: No grabber (will come back and change this later)
Channel frequency table: us-bcast

mythtv-setup - Input connections
Configure HDHomeRun Port 0 as follows:
Video source: Antenna
External channel change command: <blank>
Preset tuner to channel: <blank>
Scan for channels: <enter>

Scan for channels page:
Scan type: Full scan
Frequency table: Broadcast
ATSC modulation: Terrestrial (8-VSB)
Channel seperator: Period
Existing channel treatment: Minimal updates
Next: <enter>

Back on "Connect source to input page":
Starting channel: <choose a valid channel>
Finish <enter>

Repeat for HDHomeRun Port 1.

mythtv-setup - Channel Editor

Note list of channels for source "Antenna"

zap2it labs
Create an account here:
http://labs.zap2it.com/

Create a channel lineup and enable/disable channels based on channels
listed in the Channel Editor in mythtv-setup.

mythtv-setup - Video sources
Change the configuration for antenna as follows:

Listings grabber: North America (DataDirect) (Internal)
User id: <login name for zap2it>
Password: <password for zap2it>
Retrieve lineups: <enter>
Data direct lineup: <select correct listing>
Finish <enter>

North America Digital Cable

mythtv-setup - Video sources
Add a new video source with the following configuration:
Video source name: Digital Cable
Listings grabber: No grabber (will come back and change this later)
Channel frequency table: us-cable

mythtv-setup - Input connections
Configure HDHomeRun Port 0 as follows:
Video source: Digital Cable
External channel change command: <blank>
Preset tuner to channel: <blank>
Scan for channels: <enter>

Scan for channels page:
Scan type: Full scan
Frequency table: Cable
ATSC modulation: Cable (QAM-256)
Channel seperator: Period
Existing channel treatment: Minimal updates
Next: <enter>

Back on "Connect source to input page":
Scan for channels: <enter>

Scan for channels page:
Scan type: Full scan
Frequency table: Cable
ATSC modulation: Cable (QAM-64)
Channel seperator: Period
Existing channel treatment: Minimal updates
Next: <enter>

Back on "Connect source to input page":
Starting channel: <choose a valid channel>
Finish <enter>

Repeat for HDHomeRun Port 1.

mythtv-setup - Channel Editor

Note list of channels for source "Digital Cable"

zap2it labs
Create an account here:
http://labs.zap2it.com/

Create a channel lineup and enable/disable channels based on channels
listed in the Channel Editor in mythtv-setup.

Note that MythTV uses the ATSC channel numbering as specified in the
transport stream, not the remapped cable channel numbering so you will
need to select OTA/Antenna as the source in Zap2it.

mythtv-setup - Video sources
Change the configuration for digital cable as follows:

Listings grabber: North America (DataDirect) (Internal)
User id: <login name for zap2it>
Password: <password for zap2it>
Retrieve lineups: <enter>
Data direct lineup: <select correct listing>
Finish <enter>

AVS forum discussion of the unit
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=731457

Thank you