[Novalug] Switch reccomendations

Russell Evans russell-evans@qwest.net
Thu Jan 4 10:49:32 EST 2007

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 10:27:33 -0500
"Russell Evans" <russell-evans@qwest.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 20:40:16 -0500
> "William Warren" <hescominsoon@emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com> wrote:
>
> > I am currently replacing one switch and looking at purchasing
> > another one.  One switch is for the data network.  The data network
> > needs one gigabit port for the server and at least 24 100 megabit
> > ports.
> >
> > The second switch is for the trixbox network.  It simply needs to be
> > 24 10/100 ports.  The budget for both switches is $900.
> >
> > I have been looking at netgear and linksys as well as dell(which
> > has been rapidly eliminated).
> >
> > Recommendations?
>

> I like the HP Procurve switches for their lifetime warrenty.
>
> http://www.hp.com/rnd/leadership/index.htm
> For as long as you own the product, on ALL parts, including fan and
> power supply (The 9300m, 9400sl, 8100fl and 700wl series products have
> a 1 year warranty on all parts). Upgrades are available through HP
> Care Packs at an extra charge. Local country legal terms and
> conditions apply.
>

> This means you can buy from ebay and still have support.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-ProCurve-2626-J4900B-24-Port-10-100-Switch-Gigabit_W0QQitemZ170064374378QQihZ007QQcategoryZ71523QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
> rice: 	US $375.00
> End time:	Jan-05-07 09:21:53 PST (1 day)
> Shipping costs:
> FREE
>
> he HP ProCurve 2626 (HP Part - J4900B) is a managed switch with a 9.6
> Gbps Backplane. It has 24 auto sensing 10/100-TX ports as well as two
> Dual Personality ports for use as either Copper Gigabit 10/100/1000-TX
> or Fiber Gigabit (Mini-GBIC). All 10/100 and 10/100/1000 ports have
> Auto-MDIX and automatically adjust for straight-through or crossover
> cables.
>
> At only 1-U in height, this unit is compact and will take up very
> little space on your rack. These units are in excellent condition and
> all ports have been successfully tested to insure reliability. The
> unit has been upgraded to the latest HP Firmware Version H.08.106 and
> reset to DEFAULT_CONFIG with DHCP ENABLED. Items are personally
> guaranteed against DOA and backed by HP LIFETIME WARRANTY.
>

> http://www.hp.com/rnd/products/switches/switch2600series/overview.htm
> 24 RJ-45 10/100 ports (IEEE 802.3 Type 10Base-T, IEEE 802.3u Type
> 100Base-T)
>
> 1 RS-232C DB-9 console port
>
> 2 Dual Personality Ports – each port can be used as either an RJ-45
> 10/100/1000 port (IEEE 802.3 Type 10Base-T; 802.3u Type 100Base-TX;
> 802.3ab 1000Base-T Gigabit Ethernet) or an open mini-GBIC slot (for
> use with mini-GBIC transceivers) 	Dimensions: 17.32 x 12.8 x
> 1.73 in. (43.99 x 32.51 x 4.39 cm)
>
> 1U height
> 	Latency:
> < 13.3 μs (LIFO)
>
> Throughput: up to 6.6 million pps
>
> Routing/switching capacity: 9.6 Gbps

If you are interested in buying new the cost is only a little over your
$900 budget.$449.99 plus shipping.

http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1432490&CatId=868

I got this vendor from HP's buy it now site. It was the lowest cost of
the five vendors listed.

I should also mention I went with the first HP 2626 I found on ebay.
There are other buy it now auctions for less.

Thank you
Russell