[Novalug] g4l - Ghost for Linux

Russell Evans russell-evans@qwest.net
Wed Jan 3 13:14:15 EST 2007

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 14:21:54 -0500 (EST)
"Kenneth A. Kauffman" <kkauffman@headfog.com> wrote:

> # By piping to the file system directly, we can make an image.
> # create netcat listener on port 9000, redirect input to myimage.iso
> nc -l -p 9000 | dd of=myimage.iso

The .iso naming seems to be problematic for a hard disk image because
of common nomenclature  I think it is worth pointing out that the
image isn't a read only ISO 9660 file system and can be mounted and its
contents manipulated.

Thank you
Russell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image
An ISO image (.iso) is an informal term for a disk image of an ISO 9660
file system. More loosely, it refers to any optical disc image, even a
UDF image.