[Novalug] who knows a wifi savvy lawyer? I think I need one...

Ross Patterson RossPatterson@Comcast.Net
Tue Jan 2 18:30:24 EST 2007

At 18:14 1/2/2007, Miles D. Oliver wrote:
>He starts in about my WISP antenna on my roof and that I HAVE TO
>take it down.  ... So, I am probably going to have to find a lawyer
>who is Internet savvy enough to understand what I have, and tell me
>if I am right or if I will have to find another means of an Internet
>connection.
>
>Can anybody recommend anyone or help me find laws to help me
>determine what I am up against??

Start by combing through www.arrl.org and searching the net for
things near references to "PRB-1".  Ham radio operators come up
against this sort of thing all the time, so there's lots of casual
material to peruse.  You might find the ARRL's primary antenna page
(http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/local/prb-1_program.html)
interesting, even though the reason behind it doesn't apply to you.

Unfortunately, hams have an answer that you don't: The FCC's 1985
"PRB-1" decision that essentially removed all decision making power
regarding amateur radio antennas and towers from local and state
hands.  But since most local governments only learn about PRB-1
*after* they try to force some ham to take his antenna down, the
topic tends to get discussed in non-FCC terms first and generate some
net-trail.

Also, talk to your ISP.  They sold you the antenna, right?  Maybe
they even did the installation.  That might make it their problem,
not yours.  Ask them also if your antenna actually is legal,
especially if they didn't supply or install it.  Lots of the wireless
gear running around is not - starting with those
Pringles'-can-antennas everyone's so fond of.

Ross