[Novalug] How to connect to internet with CentOS?

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Tue Jan 2 12:32:23 EST 2007

[0] Really Cheat. Use a loooooong ethernet cable.
[1] Cheat. Go get a gaming router. Connect via ethernet. CONS: not very
portable. PROS: Trivial
[2] Intel Centrino (IPW2200) works under CentOS, but they may be bugs in
the scripts.
[3] ADVICE: get any wifi working with no encryption first
[4] Try a different distro. SUSE might be a good bet. Steal RPMs and
scripts.

As far as [2] goes, there used to be a bug in the wifi scripts. I tried
setting all the entries by hand and got them to work, but the sequence
*was order dependent*. For some reason, one parameter had to be set
after the others. Figure out what works and edit the wifi scripts. Newer
versions may be fixed.

Someone mentioned that HPs tend to use Broadcom chips. While these were
traditionally unusable, a driver has been written recently. I haven't
tried it yet tho. My personal solutions are [0] amd [1].

JIM

Good Luck!

JIM