[Novalug] Fun with bash

Alan McConnell alan@patriot.net
Tue Jan 2 07:23:25 EST 2007

On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 08:17:21PM -0500, Jay Hart wrote:

> > Yeah, there's a bash-completion RPM for Fedora.  I haven't got into zsh
> > but it's been recommended to me several times.  Next spare couple of
> > hours, maybe...
> >

> Sounds like a great topic for a NOVALUG meeting: Differences between zsh and
> Bash.
	I don't know anything about zsh, but I have just recently stumbled
	on a great book(freely downloadable as a 2meg, 600+ page .pdf)
	        Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide, by Mendel Cooper

	I think of it as a very learned sequel to the O'Reilly "Learning
	the bash shell".

A little cuteness I learned from the very first pages: try

	echo $(( 2#101011 ))      and then      echo $(( 3#1202 ))

! Before you try the above two commands, do you know beforehand what the
shell guru IMHO.

Enjoy! and Happy New Year!

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
    There are many good Impeachment sites; one of the best is: