identifying what's running ( was Re: [Novalug] "10 Linux commands you've never used" article)

Beartooth karhunhammas@Lserv.com
Fri Feb 23 14:15:43 EST 2007

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Garrett Nievin wrote:

> Try chmod 755 WhatsitDo2.  You need to see the "x" bit on in
> the "ls -l" listing...

 	OK : I've run into chmod with number code before. Like
chmod itself, I have a vague abstract idea of what it does -- and
can never quite seem to keep it straight in my head. <sigh>

 	Is it a fact that "chmod 755" and "chmod +x" and "chmod
u+x" are a classic linuxian example of three ways to do the same
thing? If so, is there one of them I'm more likely to get
straight first than the others? I've gotta sneakin hunch I'm
creepin' up on the level where I'm bound to start needing a lot
of the commands I've shied off learning for years, for fear of
destroying something...

 	Roadnav for instance has rpms, but not for .ppc; there
are tarballs, but they're source code; and I bet the readme files
are going to tell me to do a bunch more stuff I've shied off --
like "make" and "install" and "configure" and ... But the only
laptop we have (and therefore the only real use for Roadnav) is a
G3 iBook ...

--
Beartooth Neo-Redneck, Linux Evangelist