[Novalug] Sample shell code...

Megan Larko larkoc@iges.org
Thu Feb 22 10:39:59 EST 2007

Beartooth and Company,

I tried the sample shell script  posted to NoVALUG List.  It worked for me exactly following the
instructions of the kind person who posted it (I deleted the original post so I cannot attribute
correctly).

Beartooth, I had no problem with line 10 and/or any ] issues.

I am re-posting it here for others and a comparison check.

#!/bin/sh
#

LAST=none
for PREPROCESS in $(ps -e | awk '{print $4}') ; do
  PROCESS=${PREPROCESS//\/0}
  MAN=$(man -f ${PROCESS})
  TEST_MAN=${MAN//nothing appropriate}
  if [ "${#MAN}" = "${#TEST_MAN}" -a "${PROCESS}" != "${LAST}" ] ; then
    LAST=${PROCESS}
    echo ${MAN}
    echo
  fi
done | less

It does a nice, quick job of looking at processing running on the system and then returning a brief
description from the man page of what that process is designed to do.   FYI, a "q" exits the job
when it has finished its listing (one will see a colon on  a line by itself).

Thank you to the person who shared the code.

megan