[Novalug] Hiring - woes

Andy Anderson opus@slowlanecafe.com
Wed Feb 21 09:51:53 EST 2007

Nick Danger wrote:
> Watching jobs fly by on these lists I think I've been slightly jaded to
> the Metro DC area. We are looking for a PHP programmer here (Central
> Connecticut) and its near impossible. We've had maybe 3 applications and
> 2 were from overseas. (Ok, maybe there were 4, I seem to remember
> tossing one out because it had zero skills/requirements).
>
> Anyone want to move to Connecticut? :-)
>
> Just needed to vent.

I can sure understand - but from the opposite perspective.  I lived in the
DC Metro area for 23 years and just got burned out on the traffic, crowding,
long lines at even mediocre restaurants, etc.  So I moved to Salisbury, MD,
which has a *much* better quality of life, but almost no IT jobs.  So I
started my own company.

Anyway, I just felt a twinge of sympathy for your situation.  It's too
bad that
good jobs (for IT folks) and good quality of life seem to sometimes be
mutually exclusive.  Or maybe I've just become an old curmudgeon.

Take care.

--
Andy Anderson
Salisbury, MD, USA

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."
                                                     - Anonymous