[Novalug] Open source visio file viewer

Ken Kauffman kkauffman@headfog.com
Tue Feb 20 09:08:32 EST 2007

Jay Hart wrote:
> I'm looking for a open source viewer that I can use to preview visio files.
>
> Does anyone know of anything?
>
> Jay Hart

Jay

This package is free for windows including open licensing for commercial
use.  It's worked very well for me at work for sending Visio to people
as well as Project files.  Most of the work I do really requires that
people NOT edit the original documents.  I've even caught a few people
when they've called me for the original so they could make "favorable"
changes to my test results that they could send to management.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/
http://www.pdfforge.org/products/pdfcreator

Native display and editing of .vsd files is not available on Linux.
You've already seen the other suggested alternatives, so I won't rehash
them.  By the way, MS has screwed over the export to .SVG format
(supported by Linux solutions).  That would have been an easy solution,
but the MS version of export doesn't work.

I saw an interesting project "vdxtosvg"
(http://vdxtosvg.sourceforge.net/) but I haven't tried to use it just
yet.  It should be possible to ask for the original provider of the
diagram to send you a VDX format and then give this a spin.

Ken