[Novalug] Wiki/CMS

Fri Feb 9 11:34:28 EST 2007

On 2/9/07, Kevin Kitts <kevin.kitts@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) Wiki/Content Managment System (searchable, storage of documentation on
> system architectures, technical procedures, etc)
> 2) Issue/Bug tracking
> 3) Project Management/Version Control (very high level/simple subversion
> would probably be overkill)

On the locked down Wiki front, Mediawiki can secure different areas
based on "namespaces" which are essentially a simple way to categorize
things.  I know a few people who opted to go with a single wiki for
their operations and lock the developers out of the BizDev stuff (and
vice versa) this way.

For Bug Tracking, I happen to like Mantis and it easily supports
locking things down by projects.  Yes, it's ugly... but it works.

For Project Management, check out dotProject.  I'm horribly biased as
a core contributor, but the permissions implementation is solid, it's
under active development, and offers tracking that most of the others
don't have.  If you're really looking for "todo list management"
instead of real project management, you might look into something like
BaseCamp (or ActiveCollab on the oss side) to see if it meets your
needs better.

My 0.02,
kc

--